Detox From Sugar – Did you know that sugar is eight times as addictive as cocaine? Follow our 10-day guide to detox the healthy way.
Did you know that the Americans consume 152 pounds of sugar a year? According to Dr. Mark Hyman, author of The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet, sugar-addiction is not fueled by emotions, it’s “a biological disorder, driven by hormones and neurotransmitters that fuel sugar cravings — leading to uncontrolled overeating”. And we only need ten days to break the addictive cycle. Here’s how.
Decide whether detox is the best solution for you – Detox From Sugar
Should you detox? The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet recommends a sugar detox if you answer any of these questions positively:
• Are you pre-diabetic or do you have type 2 diabetes?
• Are you struggling to lose belly fat?
• Are you overweight or obese?
• Do you crave sugar or carbohydrates?
• Have you tried cutting fat out of your diet with no success?
• Do you have high blood sugar, high triglycerides, and low HDL cholesterol?
• Do you eat even when you’re not hungry and does eating make you feel good?
• Do you often fall asleep right after eating?
• Do you have a food disorder?
• Do you suffer from dizzy spells, mood swings or get withdrawal symptoms when limit your sugar or carbohydrate intake?
• Do you suffer from bloating, IBS, joint or muscle pain, brain fog, memory or mood problems?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you should consider this detox.
Go cold turkey
To reset your body’s sugar-dependence you need to stop consuming all forms of sugar, including artificial sweeteners and carbohydrates. Remove anything that includes trans or hydrogenated fats and MSG from your diet as well. To make things easier, focus on eating only fresh produce for the next ten days. This includes any drinks, such as coffee, tea and sodas.
Get your protein fix
Cut out cravings and restore healthy insulin levels with a 4-6 ounce portion of protein in every meal. Dr Hyman recommends farm eggs or a protein shake for breakfast. Snack on seeds and nuts during the day. And include eggs, fish, chicken or grass-fed meat in each meal.
Eat the right kind of carbs
Vegetables like broccoli, kale and cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, and zucchini are perfectly okay to eat, as they don’t include starch. You should avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, beans, grains and beets when you’re detoxing.
Embrace healthy fats in your diet
In recent years studies have found that certain fats are a necessary component on a healthy diet. Snack on almond nuts, berries or pumpkins seeds, and enjoy extra virgin olive oil, avocados, fish (rich in omega 3 fats) and coconut butter in your cooking.
Get enough rest
Curb your appetite hormones by getting eight hours of sleep every night and managing your stress levels effectively. Sleep deprivation and high stress levels are two of the leading causes for over-eating. Follow these steps and you will feel energized after just ten days.
ARE YOU TAKING THE 10-DAY DETOX CHALLENGE? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BOX BELOW.